Ants are quite the summer annoyance, wreaking havoc on yards with destructive mounds and invading our homes in search of food. Before you make a run to the store to buy any products, here are some alternative natural household repellents.
- Cinnamon – Ants have a keen sense of smell and can find their way into your home through the smallest opening. Cinnamon can create a useful barrier to help keep them out. Its strong smell is like tear gas for ants and discourages them from trying to get in your home. Sprinkle it outside around possible entry points, or add water and wipe the solution on windowsills.
- Lemon – While the smell of lemon is refreshing and gives an air of cleanliness to most people, ants are not the biggest fans. The smell is an ant deterrent, and its acidity can mask the scent trails they leave behind to alert more ants. Apply lemon juice to possible points of entry and enjoy a glass of lemonade knowing ants are kept at bay.
- Vinegar – Like lemon juice, vinegar has an intense smell that impedes ants and masks the scent trails they use to signal others, causing them to get lost. Wiping down floors and counters with a solution of vinegar and water will keep ants from crawling on these surfaces.
- Peppermint – Not only is peppermint a lifesaver for your breath, but it’s also a lifesaver for your home when it comes to ants. Another natural air freshener for your home, peppermint essential oil added to water can be sprayed around windows and door thresholds to help prevent ants from entering. The smell hinders their ability to find food sources.
- Baking Soda/Powdered Sugar – For bakers, baking soda and powdered sugar make for delicious cakes and cookies, but they can also work as quite the ant repellent. Mix equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar, and place in a small container. This non-toxic recipe to get rid of ants works as a trap by using the powdered sugar as a lure for ants and the baking soda to effectively dispatch them. Baking soda reacts with the acid in the ant’s digestive tract when eaten. While not instantaneous, ants will share this food source with the larger colony which could dramatically decrease the number of ants in and around your home.
Sometimes home remedies may be partially effective or completely ineffective. Therefore, if you need help addressing a larger ant problem in and around your home, contact your local Orkin professional for a free estimate and a customized a plan that’s right for you.
“How to Get Rid of Ants Fast Naturally” Top 10 Home Remedies
“How To Make All-Natural Ant Killer” Apartment Therapy